Friday, March 29, 2013

Our Trip to the Creation Museum

After several years of wanting to go, my family was finally able to make it to the Creation Museum in Kentucky yesterday.

(Photos will be at the end of the post)

The first exhibit I went through was Verbum Domini. There were over two dozen different original manuscripts of the Bible in Greek, Latin, Hebrew, German and English. My favorite in this exhibit (besides the German Bible) was the Esther scroll. This scroll is kept in a decorated ceramic case and written in Arabic (I think, I don't remember). Part of the scroll was laid out and it's beautifully illustrated. Jews read from this scroll during the Feast of Purim, which honors Esther.

We went through 'Walk Through Biblical History' next and got to see the 7 C's of history: Creation, Corruption, Catastrophe, Confusion, Christ, Cross and Consummation. All throughout were life-like wax figures of people and animals. They were so life-like that at one point, I thought a person who was standing still was a wax figure. In my defense, he fit right in with the section we were in.

I enjoyed the whole museum very much, but my favorite part was the Stargazers Planetarium, where we got to watch the film "Created Cosmos". We sat in reclining chairs and stared up at the dome shaped ceiling where the movie was played. Before I watched it, I knew that outer space was huge, but I wasn't sure HOW huge. I'm still not sure I can even grasp it.

It started out by showing us our planet system--the sun with all the planets stretching out around it. That's when things started to get really amazing. From there on out, it went further and further out into the stars. They compared the sun to several other giant starts in the universe and really, the sun isn't that big. There are some stars that are 70x bigger than our sun--and we think it's so huge!

The film kept going further out until we were "out" of the Milky Way, looking down on it from above. From that distance, you can't even really see our solar system. It's just another group of planets and stars in the galaxy, indistinguishable from the rest.

The coolest part about all of this was when the film went out 50 million billion light years away. At that distance, the entire galaxy of the Milky Way was just another star cluster. Our sun obviously couldn't be seen. It then zoomed in, slowly at first, back to our solar system. I forget the exact number, but it was a large number of light years.

When we got home this evening, I walked outside to feed the horses and just looked at the stars for a minute. We're so, so, SO tiny in the grand scheme of things. Our earth--our GALAXY--is just a speck. And yet, God cares about us, a very tiny portion of His creation. It's just so mind-boggling to think about, and yet so very awesome.







We got to meet Buddy Davis!!


One of the many beautiful spots in the Creation Museum gardens.


Emily and I nicknamed this the stone table.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! You finally got to go! That's awesome! I love that place :D

    Abbie looks like she's grown since the WW O_o

    ReplyDelete