Thursday, November 8, 2012

Make Your Slitted Denim Skirt Modest!

My little sister got a skirt from the thrift store today that had two knee-high slits on either side. My Mom didn't realize it when she got the skirt and told my sister that she wasn't allowed to wear it unless I could add a panel in. After about 20 minutes of cutting, pinning and sewing she has this now adorably modest skirt!


This was really easy to do. I had an old denim skirt that was kind of weirdly made, so I decided to take out the lace inserts in it to put into my sister's skirt.


I cut a wide triangle around the lace so I had about an inch of excess fabric on either side to work with. I flipped my sister's skirt inside out and pinned the lace panels onto either side of the slit.



This isn't my sister's skirt (it's mine that I haven't sewn yet), but the same pinning applies. You can see from the picture how the pins are in a triangle--the same shape as the slit. Be careful when you're pinning so you don't pin both sides of your skirt together! That could get messy while sewing.

After you have your fabric pinned in, flip the skirt right side out.



Since this is a denim skirt, there are alright some guide lines for you to follow while sewing. Make sure you have dark blue thread and sew with both "right sides" facing out, keeping the yellow stitching on the edge of the slit in the middle of your presser foot.

This skirt is the same one picture above in the pinning picture. If you cut out a triangle panel (like I did with my sister's skirt) you'll be finished after the sewing step.

As I said, it took about 20 minutes to cut, pin and sew the panels, so it went together really quickly. Please comment if you have any questions. I'll probably be posting pictures of mine when I finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment