Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo - Day 1

Total Word count: 3, 251 words

Today was both a good and bad day. I can't exactly judge it against any others since this is only day 1, however.
Wouldn't this be an awesome place to write?

So the bad part. I figured out that I have absolutely no clue how to write a fist fight. Zero, zilch...yeah, you get the picture. The first chapter opens with my main character getting beat up by some other guys. However, I'm not sure if they did too much talking or too little talking. Or for that matter, too much "fist throwing" or too little "fist throwing". I guess that's what my guy critiquers are for (thank you!).

I'm also starting to wonder (yeah, starting to wonder. It's the first day.) if my beginning is exciting enough. In the past I've always had fight scenes to open something off, but this is a little less exciting, at least I think so. Whoops, Eli (that's my main character, in case you were wondering) said to tell you that getting beat up is plenty "exciting".

I think I should try to turn my inner editor off.

The good part about today is that I had 1,500 words done before lunch. If the rest of the month goes like this, the word count feature on the NaNoWriMo site says I should be done with my 50,000 by November 17. We'll see if I can keep it up. :P I did an hour long word war with Julia (thanks so much!) and got up to 2,878 words. After that, I wasn't exactly sure of what to do next, so I went into town to get some bobby pins and decaf coffee (Mom said I shouldn't have caffeine). I ran into another WriMoer at Walmart and we talked for a bit (she had to get coffee too, except she is allowed to have caffeine) before heading back home.

This evening I wrote 350-ish more words and finished the first chapter. It's got to be the longest chapter I've ever written.

Tomorrow is a writing day, so I'm planning to write Chapter 2 and 3, or at least, most of 3.

I'm off to do a bit more planning and maybe watch a few episodes of Robin Hood.

Until tomorrow!
Katie

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you could open with a scene from Eli's story, since he's writing a story. So the reader thinks it's real, and then something crazy happens, like somebody dies or something stupid that Eli doesn't like, and then it switches to him and he's like, "No!" and deletes the section the reader just thought was real, then he starts walking home has his confrontation.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that! That's so much better than the fist fight. I'll keep that in my notes for when I'm editing. :)

      Delete