Friday, October 19, 2012

How I Learned to Eat an Elephant--Guest Post

This article was written by Mary Beth Loveless for the Landry Academy student newspaper, Scholar's Script. I found it encouraging and got her permission to post it here. I hope it's encouraging for you all as well!
______________________________________________________________



            At first glance, this seems like a very- uh- interesting statement. Learning "how to eat an elephant," however, is probably one of the most important things you can learn as a student, especially when you are dealing with change.
             I faced a difficult change of my own at the start of this school year. As can be expected for a sophomore in high school, my school load took a huge increase this year (I went from having only one online class a year in addition to my regular school load to having four - two of those being Pre-AP and AP).
            The first five weeks were a total nightmare. I was drowning in a sea of deadlines, homework assignments, and projects. I struggled to make it through each day and balance my school with my relationship with God, my family, my friends, and my extracurricular activities. Every time I looked at my schedule for the week, I wanted to cry. In short, I was an emotional wreck.
            I finally reached my breaking point when I had a meltdown over a confusing math problem that my mom was trying to explain to me. After pouring out all of my frustrations and anxiety with my new schedule in-between sobs, I buried my head in my arms and yelled,
            "I just can't do this anymore!"
            After a few seconds of silence, my mom wrapped her arms around me and said,
              "First of all, Mary Beth, you have got to get a grip on yourself." She gave me some time to calm down, hugging me and giving me tissues. After I quieted down she looked right at me with a sparkle of humor in her green eyes and asked,
            "Mary Beth, do you know how to eat an elephant?"
            It was such a weird and random question, that, in spite of how upset I was, I started laughing. She laughed too, and after giving me another hug, she whispered, "One bite at a time."
            This seemingly silly statement paved the way for a great conversation about perspective, a conversation that God used to help me grow both emotionally and spiritually.
            Perspective is the way we see the world and all of the things that happen to us. It's a vital part of who we are as people because it shapes our attitudes about changes in our lives.
            During the first several weeks of school, I was looking at all of the changes in my schedule from a "me" perspective. I constantly felt sorry for myself and began believing that I was some sort of "victim." To put it bluntly, I was being selfish and unthankful.   
            Instead of complaining about my school load and allowing it to get me down, I should have dropped to my knees and thanked God for all of the many blessings He's given me: a country where I can worship Him freely, good health, financial blessings, 3 square meals a day, clothing, a comfortable home, doctors and nurses who care for me when I am sick, clean water, parents who desire to protect me and stay involved in my life, brothers who want to spend time with me and who treat me like a princess, a bed to sleep in, a car, AND the opportunity to get an excellent education so that I can be well equipped for advancing His kingdom. The list goes on and on.
            After I had this eye-opening conversation with my mom, I tried putting this into practice. I found that when I started to count my blessings and open my eyes to the world around me, my "overwhelming school schedule" didn't seem so important anymore because I realized that there are so many other much more difficult changes that I could be dealing with (my dad losing his job, moving away from all that I've known, losing a relative or friend). Now, I am so grateful to God for where He has put me in life and find joy in dealing with change because I know that it is a God-give opportunity to prepare myself for whatever He has in store for me.
             My prayer for each one of you (especially all of you students!) is that you will start to see changes from God's perspective. When you feel like you can't eat your elephants anymore, take a deep breath, count your blessings, and remember those elephants, by God's grace, can be eaten...one bite at a time.
          
By: Mary Beth Loveless

No comments:

Post a Comment