Friday, October 12, 2012

Creepy Library--Part 2

The scratching continues and I pull myself up from the chair, clenching my dead cell phone in my quivering hands.

“Who’s there?” I ask, my voice shaking.

Some sort of hiss replaces the scratching. Timidly, I step into the shadows and towards the noise.  I weave my way through the bookcases and as I get closer, a low growl joins in with the hissing. I come to the end of the row and peek out. A window sits in the wall directly opposite, moonlight pouring in from the night and illuminating the area. I squint my eyes, trying to adjust to the sudden light.

A dark shape sits plastered against the wall under the window. I inch a little closer to investigate.

“It’s a cat! Just a dumb old cat,” I laugh at myself.

Relief overcomes me and I slide down the wall about twenty feet away from the feral animal. The cat continues to growl at me and cower against the wall, but doesn’t make a move to run.

“I would let you out, but the doors are locked. Guess it’s just you and me tonight.”

He hisses in reply and I roll my eyes. After a while, he quiets down and only growls every couple of minutes. 
The cat is completely jet black, except for a small spot of white on the tip of his nose and the end of one of his paws.  His skin is stretched tight over his bones and it looks like he hasn’t eaten in days. Scratches cover his body, some bloody and infected. I reach out my hand toward him and my jacket crinkles. He jumps up, hair standing on end, and hisses.

“Okay, nevermind,” I quip.

I bring my knees up to my chest and rest my head on top. “Well, goodnight cat.”
~*~
A sharp slap wakes me up. I jump up, still clenching my phone. Looking out the window, I can see frost covering the ground. Sun pours in through the window.

“What have I told you about sleeping in here, you hooligan? Out, out! This is not a hotel!”

I turn toward the voice and instantly wish I hadn’t. An irate librarian stands in front of me, several books cradled in one arm and what looks like a ruler clenched in her other fist. I stumbled backwards, tripping over a children’s bookcase in the process. The contents spill out all over the red carpet floor. Nervously, I stoop down to pick them up, only to get another string of irate comments from the woman.

“Okay, sorry. I’ll leave.”

She places her books on the nearest table and glares at me. I reach out my hand and shake her free one.

“Have a lovely day.”


____________________________________________________________

Next week I will resume my normal, random descriptions. Hopefully happy ones too. If anyone has any suggestions for the description practice, let me know in the comments below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment