Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cricket night (description)


I lay back on the hammock and push off with my feet. It sways side to side slowly and I close my eyes. A cool breeze blows through the pines around me and I inhale the fresh scent. Crickets chirp all around, their chorus almost deafening. The soft hum of an engine can be heard in the distance and I open my eyes. A plane flies overhead and I can barely make out its lights through the tree branches.

The breeze starts to blow stronger and I wrap my jacket tighter around me. Pine needles  click against each other above me, adding to the cricket’s chorus. A owl hoots in the tree above me and I open my eyes wide, trying to catch a glimpse of him. The light from the full moon reveals his silhouette perched high at the top of the tree. I can barely see his head turning from side to side as he searches for prey. Silently, he launches himself from the branch and glides down into the grass behind me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment