Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Piano (description)


Light glistens white against the black polish on the piano. It looks alone in the middle of the stage. Dark blue velvet curtains hang limp on the sides of the stage and a single spotlight illuminates the area.

I ascend the steps to the stage, my heels clicking against the stairs and the peach dress swishing around my legs. The auditorium sits in silence as I walk across the stage. The clicking seems to reverberate off the walls. 

My palms start to feel sweaty and I play with the sheet music in my left hand, sliding the pages back and forth against each other.

After what seems like hours, I reach the piano. Taking a deep breath, I slide the bench out and sit down. The cushiony seat bounces a little. Hands shaking, I spread out my sheet music on the music rack of the piano and lift the lid covering the keys. I smile and brush my hands lightly over the rows of ivory and black.

I take one more breath before placing my hands on the keys. The hammers strike the strings on the grand piano as my fingers fly over the keys. The music sounds rich and deep and I grin from the sheer enjoyment of it.

All too soon, the piece is over and the audience is cheering. Shaking, I stand up from the bench and grin. The audience stands and applauds and I curtsy before awkwardly making my way off the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment