Friday, September 14, 2012

Weekly Description--Cold


Cold wind whistled through the ice-covered trees. The branches clinked together, sounding like hundreds of little wind chimes. I shivered and wrapped my arms tightly around me, trying to keep out the cold. The flannel coat I wore for protection did little more than give my hands something to grab. Snow drifts covered the ground and were lit up with the blue light from the moon. A dark shadow passed over the ground. Gasping, I whirled and looked up, only to see a solitary owl silhouetted against the moon. I watched as he flew further into the trees until I could see him no more. A sharp squeal came from the direction he had flown and I knew he’d found his prey.

Trudging forward, I stumbled on the slick surface. Ice covered most of the snow, making it nearly impossible to walk on. At least my feet are somewhat dry. The forest began to get more and more dense as I walked forward. Soon, I could no longer see much light. Little beams let their way through the tangle of ice covered branches. Occasionally, the light reflected off several ice covered limbs at once, making them look like Christmas lights. 




This might be going into a short-story-turned-novel-that-needs-planned that I'm working on for an English class. No, the assignment is not to write a novel. I'll submit a short story and probably turn it into a novel afterwards. I have trouble doing short things. :P

2 comments:

  1. O_O You're pretty much doing exactly what my dad told me to do. Take a scene and focus just on description. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea. It's really helpful just to focus on description instead of a million other things going on in a story at the same time. Thank you!

      Delete